Safety on the Roads: Riding a motorcycle in the Rain
- October 3, 2016
- Posted by admin
- Comments Off on Safety on the Roads: Riding a motorcycle in the Rain
Here at AK Motors, we hugely value our customers and their safety on the roads. For this week, we will be sharing tips on riding a motorcycle in the rain. The bay area weather has changed within a week of the arrival of fall. Cloudy skies with drizzle are projected to hit parts of the bay area for the rest of the week. One thing to note is that rain happens. You must always adjust your ride accordingly. As riding conditions change, motorcycle riders must slow down and allow for more cushion between themselves and the surrounding environment/cars. Here are some tips:
- Ensure that your gear can keep you warm. Once the body experiences cold, you are more likely to be less concentrated on the road.
- Waterproof gloves are recommended to keep your hands warm. They are the first parts of your body to get cold typically, and they go numb. This will interfere with your ability to ride safely.
- When braking in questionable conditions, apply light pressure as NOT to lock up the wheel. Applying the brakes abruptly as you would during dry conditions will almost always take you and the bike down.
- Apple more rear brake than the front. You can quickly correct if something happens from the rear wheel than the front. Allow yourself more room to slow down, stop and turn.
- It is a good habit to check your tires frequently for defects, damage, wear, and proper inflation. A tire in the proper condition will help you survive on the roads when weather conditions are against you. If your tires have no grip or tread, DO NOT RIDE IN THE RAIN and change your tires as soon as possible.
- Ease on the throttle when you are pulling away from a stop light/sign. Do not ride in the center of the lanes in wet conditions, these become more slippery as grime rises.
- Ensure that you are wearing the proper gear for wet conditions. It is best to wear a reflective jacket for high visibility and a full faced helmet. Rain at more than 32 mph hurts.
- Watch out for puddles! You do not know if the puddle is 10 inches deep or 3 ft deep.
- When riding on the roads, REDUCE your speed.
- Spray some RAIN-X on your visor. This allows for more visibility since helmets do not have wipers.
These are just some tips that we have. There are more articles on the web with even more details about riding in the rain. Please ensure that riding safe is your top priority. Here at AK Motors we are proud to offer one of the best used motorcycle selections you’ll find in the Bay Area. If you’re in the market for a used bike, check out our online inventory or contact us for an appointment. To see our current inventory and explore more details, check out our Inventory page! We are located in the heart of the Silicon Valley in Santa Clara, CA with easy access from all over the Bay Area. We offer financing for all credit levels! Apply online here, and contact us with any further questions.