Safety on the Roads: “Lane Splitting”
- September 14, 2016
- Posted by admin
- Comments Off on Safety on the Roads: “Lane Splitting”
Here at AK MOTORS, we extremely value our customers and their safety on the roads. Please check out our previous blogs on rider safety and also our mass inventory of used motorcycles for sale.
Following up on the previous blogs about gloves, pre-ride inspection, and helmet safety, we felt it was necessary to discuss lane splitting and the safety of performing it. Recently, California became the first state to legalize lane splitting. The bill passed September 1st, 2016 and it authorizes the CA Highway Patrol to create guidelines for motorcyclists on how to perform it safely. Lane splitting is sometimes known as lane sharing or white-lining and it refers to the process of a motorcyclist riding in-between lanes of slower moving or stopped traffic. Motorcyclists may also move in-between lanes to the front of the traffic at a traffic light. The CA highway patrol recommends a traveling speed of 10 mph when lane splitting. Anything over 10 mph increases the chances of collision because the rider has less time to identify and react to a potential hazard. It is also recommended and safer to split between Lanes #1 and #2 (the 2 furthest left lanes) on the freeway.
Here are some things you should remember NOT TO DO when lane splitting:
- Avoid splitting lanes near other motorcyclists as cars must make room for the other motorcyclists/cars on the road
- Avoid splitting near freeway exits and ramps
- You should not weave back and forth between lanes
- You should not ride on top of the line
- Avoid lingering in blind spots
- Never ride while impaired (drugs, alcohol, fatigue)
- Always be aware of your surroundings, the cars and what you are doing
- If you cannot fit, don’t split
- Avoid splitting in traffic over 10 mph
- be aware of distracted/inattentive drivers
- No splitting in between trucks, buses, RV’s and other wide vehicles
- Avoid splitting through curves
- No splitting at the toll booth
- If dangerous road conditions exist, don’t split (rain, construction, uneven pavement, etc)
If you don’t feel comfortable with the situation, then don’t lane split! You can find more information about the guidelines to lane splitting on the CA DMV website.
Here at AK Motors we are proud to offer one of the best used motorcycle selections you’ll find in the Bay Area. If you’re in the market for a used bike, check out our online inventory or contact us for an appointment. To see our current inventory and explore more details, check out our Inventory page! We are located in the heart of the Silicon Valley in Santa Clara, CA with easy access from all over the Bay Area. We offer financing for all credit levels! Apply online here, and contact us with any further questions.